1. You're going to design a new house for the Three Little Pigs. Start by watching this video and think about what the house needs to keep the pigs safe. Do they need to be able to see outside? Does it need to be a strong house? Why?
2. Read this powerpoint about the properties of materials. What type of materials would you use in a house?
3. Complete the testing properties page - Investigate objects around your house. See what properties they have. Why is the material its made out of the best one for the job? Would it work if you had a waterproof towel? Or a soft spoon?
4. Find some materials to test for a house for the three little pigs.
5 Watch this video on the suitability of materials. Which materials are good for which jobs? Which of these materials could be used in the pigs' house?
*We wouldn't make a window of bricks – they need to be transparent.
And paper boats wouldn't last very long in the rain – boats need to be waterproof.
A material's properties tell us if it's suitable for a job.
5. Plan your house on the sheet opposite.
Finally, build your house! Could the three little pigs see out of the window? Does the house stay up on its own?
Send Mrs Orr some pictures of your completed houses - I would love to see what you can come up with. Happy designing :)